Skip to main content

Enrollment Application

Attention Non-Texas Residents

Due to new federal regulations, we are limited in the enrollments we are able to accept from students residing outside of the State of Texas. Please contact the Office of Distance and Extended Learning before submitting your enrollment application to confirm that we are able to enroll you in our program.

Online Correspondence Studies Applications are now being accepted.

Before You Apply

Registering for a correspondence self-paced course does not require formal acceptance to Texas State and does not constitute admission to the university. In fact, you need not be enrolled in a college or university to take a course through this office. Courses are open to all those who meet departmental and course prerequisites and Texas Success Initiative Program (TSIP) requirements. A key benefit of correspondence self-paced study is that it does not require classroom attendance. You may take courses from any location and may enroll in courses at any time during the academic year. You may apply to take a correspondence self-paced course by completing the Correspondence Study Application and submitting it to the Office of Distance and Extended Learning.  Be sure to review the following policies and requirements before submitting your application.

Correspondence Self-Paced Course Credit for Texas State Students
For Texas State students, correspondence self-paced coursework completed through Texas State counts toward GPA and may be applied toward residency requirements for graduation with a bachelor's degree. Hours and grades earned through Texas State correspondence self-paced courses are counted in the hours required to be eligible for Dean's List and in the GPA calculation for Dean's List. Also, hours earned through Texas State correspondence self-paced courses are counted in the hours required to be eligible to graduate with honors and in the GPA calculation for honors.

Correspondence Self-Paced Course Limits
For Texas State students, there is a limit on the number of correspondence self-paced courses that may be applied to a degree program. A maximum of eighteen hours of correspondence credit may be applied toward a bachelor's degree. Students should seek advice from their academic advisor before enrolling in a correspondence course.

Course Prerequisites
Find out if there are any required prerequisites for the course in which you’re planning to enroll. Prerequisites for all courses can be found on this Web site by going to course offerings. From there you can link to individual course information. It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not enroll in a course for which you have not met prerequisite requirements.  Official transcripts from universities, other than Texas State, are required to confirm prerequisites have been met.  Official transcripts from Texas State University are not required. 

Residency Status
If you have a Texas State ID, your residency status has been established.  For new students, residency status, as determined by the university, will automatically defer to “non-resident.” This does not affect the fees charged for your correspondence self-paced course. If an applicant or student is classified as a non-resident and wishes to be considered for reclassification as a resident, you should complete the residency paperwork through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Texas Success Initiative Program
All Texas residents taking courses for credit must comply with Texas Success Initiative requirements. If you are not a Texas State student but are a Texas resident, please provide evidence of Texas Success Initiative compliance with your application. Compliance can be verified with an unofficial transcript showing a conferred degree or college credit prior to fall 1989, or qualifying SAT/ACT, TAKS, THEA, or approved alternative test scores. Students from private institutions need a copy of their latest semester transcript or grade report, or a letter of good standing from their university. If you are unsure about these guidelines, please contact the university’s Texas Success Initiative Program Office at 512.245.3942.

Applying for a Course

Fill out and submit the Correspondence Studies Application

Enrolling in a Course
To enroll in a correspondence study course, complete the online correspondence study application. Upload the necessary documentation for TSIP or Third-Party Billing (if applicable). If you are unable to scan and upload a copy of the necessary documentation, you may mail the documents to the Office of Distance and Extended Learning; however, doing so will delay the application process. If your course requires a prerequisite, you will be required to submit an official transcript. Individual course prerequisites are listed in the course descriptions on our Web site. Official transcripts should be mailed to the Office of Distance and Extended Learning, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, Texas, 78666.

Dropping a Course
You may withdraw from a course at any time by accessing Banner Flexible Registration. Please note that in order to receive a partial refund, you must withdraw from a class within the first 30 days. Go to Flexible Registration to drop a course.

Fee Refunds
Before you register for a correspondence class, ensure that this course is applicable to the degree plan you are seeking. Check with your academic advisor before registering for your class to ensure that your are registering for the correct class. Once you have registered and paid for your course, your registration charges cannot be fully refunded if you drop the course.  Please review the Withdrawal Refund Schedule on the Costs page for complete information.

Permission to Release Grades
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of student education records and guarantees students' access to their own records. In order for the Office of Distance and Extended Learning to release or discuss a student's academic record with a specified third party, a Grant Access Student's Record Form must be on file with the university. Go to to print the form. Attach the completed form to the online application where indicated.